Monday, February 11, 2013

Week 5: Making Snow Cream

I was never told about snow cream.  When I finally tried it, I couldn't figure out why.  It's so tasty, and it costs next to nothing to make.  Frozen dessert.  For free.  Just walk outside.  Really?  Yep, really.  Many thanks to my uncle David, who posted the idea along with a photo when his wife, my aunt Charlene, made snow cream.

What you'll need:

*1/2 cup sugar 
*1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1/2 cup milk
*Lots of snow (about a gallon)

Now, I admit, this is not the recipe I used.  I didn't really use a recipe.  I guess I feel a kind of freedom making something that has snow as the base ingredient.  Just...put in stuff til it tastes good!

What I used (approximately):



*1/2 cup-ish melted honey (I used local Cantrell honey)
*Splash of vanilla extract
*1/2 cup or so half & half (I used local Snowville Creamery half & half)
*Enough snow to make it thick



Pour milk & vanilla extract into a bowl & stir.  Melt honey & add to the bowl, stir all three ingredients well.  Add snow until it's thick.




Eat it.

The honey was a little weird.  I used melted honey that had crystallized.  A few of the crystals didn't melt completely, so there were bits of honey in the snow cream.  Not a terrible problem. It was really tasty.  Maybe not as good as real ice cream, but will it do in a pinch?  Oh yes.  And I'm guessing adding more to it, like walnuts or chocolate syrup (um, both!) would be even better! 

Now I just have to wait for the next snowfall...














No comments:

Post a Comment