Sunday, January 6, 2013

Week 1: Making a fuzzy hat



Here we are, the first week in January!  I decided to make my first craft useful and simple.  I've made a fuzzy hat using my knifty knitter circle loom.  I just love this thing!  It gives me the satisfaction of making an attractive an useful object, and it's SO easy to use!  I've never been able to knit or crochet, despite being taught how on more than one occasion.  There are certain things that don't seem to stick in my brain.  Math, the rules of euchre, and knitting and/or crocheting seem to all fall in that category.  Teach me all day long.  It won't make a dent. 

I started with this wonderfully fuzzy, soft, pale lilac yarn.  I don't know what it's called, or what it's made of (disorganized, remember?), but it seems to resemble twinkle yarn that I found on Amazon when trying to figure out what it is.  Then I added a darker purple yarn.  I used the smaller red knitter for this project.  Technically it's for a child's hat, but I like how snugly the smaller size fits my head, and I like the look & style of the smaller hat.  I love the rolly brim look, and I was so excited to be able to make one myself!



I should say that this is not the first hat of this kind that I've made.  It may be number 7 or 8.  I was on a hat-making kick for a while last winter too.  But with this time of year, it feels especially cozy to sit and make something warm.  Sit with a nice cup of coffee or hot chocolate and just get comfy on the couch with some yarn.  Ahh, what a lovely idea.

Nif's eye view of hat in progress.


Does this still count in my crafting project?  Yes, absolutely!  I never said I had to make something I'd never made before.  In fact, if I decide to make 52 fuzzy hats, that's still acceptable (although perhaps not as interesting to blog about). And at some point I would have to start using something other than yarn, as I don't have enough on hand to make that many hats.  Old t-shirts, maybe?  Sheets?  Maybe that's an idea for a future project.

Now, maybe you're asking yourself how you could make one of these snazzy head ornaments for yourself.  I highly recommend loom knitting if you have problems with the more traditional methods, and there are tutorials  all over youtube if you need help (like I did) in learning to master this skill.  Here is one that I found very helpful:


I successfully finished my fuzzy hat, but I haven't managed yet to take a cute picture of it.  They all look...well, fuzzy.  I'll try to get that up later today. 

Since finishing my first project, I've already started on a future project.  This is also using the loom knitter, but now I'm practicing with the wonders of plarn.  More to come on that!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment